Registration: Open until 10 February 2020
Duration: 20 February through 7 May 2020 (12 weeks, totaling 24 hours of class time)
Meeting Time: Every Thursday, from 6.00 pm to 8.00 pm
Instructor: Ms. Barbara J. Anello-Adnani, English Language Fellow 2018-2020, U.S. State Department
Location: Center for Khmer Studies, Wat Damnak, Siem Reap
Course Description: This content-based English language course on communicating and reporting with words and images will focus on the creation of original stories using both language and images, and on the practice and history of documentary photography and journalism. Students will develop skills in two areas: both language and visual communication, including critical thinking, critical reading of news and media, assessing sources, interviewing, defining your audience, editing, and reported speech (ESL grammar), as well as photographic practice and history. Expect to work on both writing and photography skills.
Course will cover:
- Short history of photography
- Basic camera & photographic techniques & principles
- Outlining a story & determining photographic needs
- Framing interview questions
- Editing an interview
- Writing in drafts
- Taking effective photographs
- Editing & captioning photographs
- Completing & delivering a story
It is recommended that prospective students possess:
- An intermediate level of English language proficiency and a camera (phone cameras are acceptable)
- The ability to attend the course in its entirety
- A strong interest in journalism, reporting, and communicating in the English language
If you would like to attend this class, please submit your CV (2 pages max) and a cover letter (half-page) to introduce yourself and describe your interest in the course, your relevant qualifications, and how you will use the skills/knowledge that you expect to gain. Please submit your materials to Ms. Sreypich Tith via firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 10 February 2020 at 17.00. Your email should be titled “Registration for Visual Reporting Course 2020“.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for further processing. Finalists will be required to deposit a small fee that will be returned with the certificate upon successful completion of the course. Students who miss more than 3 meetings will not receive a certificate. Please be sure your schedule allows you time for full participation.