Application is now closed
French Scholar Research Fellowships
The Center for Khmer Studies (CKS) provides research fellowships to French scholars in all disciplines in the social sciences and the humanities who seek to pursue further research focusing on Cambodia alone or on Cambodia within a regional context. Scholars can conduct research in other countries in mainland Southeast Asia (including Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, and southern China) provided that some portion of their research is undertaken in Cambodia.
CKS French Research Fellows are given direct funding for their research and access to in-country resources and are provided with logistical support and contacts while in-country. Scholars who hold a PhD are eligible for Senior Research Fellowships, while current doctoral students are eligible for Dissertation Research Fellowships.
French research fellowships are administered in partnership with the Paris-based Institut National des Langues et Civilisations Orientales (INALCO), and funded by the Scaler Foundation and individual donors. Applicants must be French citizens or EU citizens holding a degree from a French university.
Important French Research Fellowship Information
Applications are accepted annually from August 15 to December 15.
- Ph.D. Fellowships are available for a maximum of 11 months for doctoral dissertation research. Only PhD candidates are eligible for this fellowship.
- Senior Fellowships: These fellowships are available for up to 9-month research. The fellowships are open for scholars who already hold a Ph.D. degree.
All CKS Fellows are provided direct funding for their research, access to CKS resources, as well as in-country logistical support and contacts.
The Fellowship Committee will assess each application on the basis of the candidate’s submitted project description, their academic and/or professional record, and the quality of their references. Because members of the Fellowship Committee represent different academic disciplines, applicants must explain the nature and significance of their projects in terms understandable to a non-specialist audience.
- Application form
- Sheet for the rapporteur
- Description of the project and bibliography
- A copy of the last two diplomas was obtained
- Copy of the thesis defense report (for post-docs)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Confidential letters of recommendation directly from recommenders
All application materials must be submitted in the online form.
Download Application Forms for French Applicants.